1. Grate the beetroot and drain in a cloth (there should be 200g after the juice has been drained off)
2. Grind the sunflower seeds into a flour
3. Combine all the ingredients for the crust and form into a solid mass. Place the mass between two pieces of baking parchment, and roll out to a thin round crust.
4. Pre-bake the crust at 200°C for approx. 15 min.
5. Rinse and dry the curly kale, then chop into smaller pieces and massage with oil, salt and pepper.
6. Spread the kale onto a baking sheet. Bake in the oven at 170°C for approx. 10-15 min until crisp. (It burns easily, so keep a close watch.)
7. Cut the pear into slices.
8. Take the pre-baked pizza crust and top with the Castello® Mature Cheddar, pear slices and Castello® Danablu. Bake for approx. 5-7 min. until the cheese has melted.
9. Once out of the oven, top with the baked kale and chopped almonds and drizzle with olive oil.
A perfect drink for the perfect bite, pairing your favourite meal with the right beverage is a sure-fire way of giving your entire experience a big lift, and it is a lot easier than you would think! It is all about finding the balance between contrasts, and when you cater to the strongest flavours in your dish, finding that perfect equalizer comes naturally.
Wines with tones of herbs work wonders when paired with elegant recipes such as our Beetroot Pizza, and the tart flavours from a Sauvignon Blanc or Gruner. Their sense of pepper notes and overall fresh and bright flavours match perfectly with delicate nature of our recipe. Their ripeness has plenty of strength to counterweight any decadence from the cheese, allowing you to truly taste the subtle nuances of this playful pizza.
When it comes to beers, opting for lighter variants is an obvious choice. Pilsners and wheat beers offer great tartness and often even add a sense of fruitiness to your palate. Generally, beers with light citrusy overtones balance the characteristics of our Beetroot Pizza perfectly.
Made from a blend of sunflower seeds, Havarti cheese, fresh beetroot and beet juice, a light crust acts as foundation to a heap of mouth-watering toppings. Resting atop a garnish of peeled pear, a side of crispy curly kale and diced almonds add new levels of bite and texture. Combined, both crust and toppings provide strong flavours on their own, eliminating the need of even tomato sauce! Still to come however, this unique recipe calls for a cheese garnish out of the ordinary. Given the light and delicate nature of our beet crust pizza, there is plenty of room for flavours to develop and flourish. For this to happen, it is important that you choose the right kind of cheese in terms of both taste and texture as one too mild could make your pizza feel plain. For this recipe, we chose two of our absolute favourite kinds of cheese to provide the perfect amount of nuance and character! First, generous dashes of our beloved Castello® Traditional Danish Blue add aroma and intensity to your palate. Its complexity combined with its smooth texture offers a balanced profile of flavour that keeps on developing as it lingers. Having a slightly stronger presence when baked, it pairs beautifully with light shavings of our Castello® Extra Matured Cheddar. Adding a sense of immediate sharpness, it works to unify the characteristics from each ingredient, resulting in a perfect slice every time.