1. Peel the onions and the garlic and cut them into thin slices. Melt the butter in a frying pan and add the onions and garlic. Caramelise the onions slowly over low to medium heat. This will take approximately 30 min. The onions should not be fried, but should cook slowly until golden.
2. Now add the bay leaves, thyme, juniper berries and apple cider vinegar. Simmer until the vinegar has cooked off. Now add the stock.
3. Bring the soup to a boil and let it simmer for another 30 min. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Heat some oil in a pan, then toast the French bread until golden on both sides.
5. Pour the soup into bowls and press the toasted French bread down into them.
6. Top with grated Castello Mature Cheddar. Melt the cheese under the grill in the oven. Serve immediately.